I have just started to prepare for full-blown migration to SP2013.
From simple to complicated scenarios and thoughts:
Step-by-step instruction on SP upgrade:
You have to upgrade SP2007 to SP2010 first then.
Here is my findings so far:
1. In SharePoint Server 2013, the In-place Upgrade approach is now unavailable for upgrading from prior versions of SharePoint products.
But instead, you will get a set of "yummies" like:
- Deferred Site Collection Upgrade
- Site Collection Health Checks
- Evaluation Site Collections
2. SP2010 farm solution will run on SP2013.
Upgrading a custom application to SharePoint 2013
3. You can upgrade site collection by site collection:
Get-SPSite -ContentDatabase WSS_Content -Limit All | Upgrade-SPSite –VersionUpgrade
4. A content database upgraded to SharePoint 2013 is capable of supporting both backward compatible SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013 mode site collections
Want to get a deep understanding of the Upgrade?
A good slide from one of the modules above on "how to proceed with upgrade to SP2013":
Craving for complication? and you want to deploy your farm solution in 14 and 15 mode?: